Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Generally unhappy person sometimes

I'm not going to lie and I'm not proud of this but I'm a generally negative person deep down. I don't want to be this way. I think I had this view on how my life should be and I have fallen so short up to this point that I can't help but be bummed out about it. I just read this really interesting article about how extremely intelligent people tend to be emotionally dysfunctional and also tend to be in jail and commit suicide. I'm not worried about the last two but I can for sure say I am emotionally dysfunctional. I wonder why its intelligent people who are emotionally dysfunc? Is it because we have such high expectations and when we don't measure up to them we are devastated? I kind of feel like that's how I am. Maybe I was emotionally dysfunctional first and intelligent because of that. I lost myself in school and always did well to avoid a lot of the real life stuff I was going through like never having a father.

This year I want to be better. I mean honestly do people think I want to be bummed about stuff. I don't want to have to worry about paying bills because I'm not working. I have a very strong resume but still no job after a couple months. I was let go from a job due to some very shady unethical behavior on part of the administration. I'm glad to be gone but I can't say any of it happened at a good time. It really is my goal this year to make changes and to be an overall happier person and not be so hard on myself when things aren't perfect. One of the things I am going to do is give dating a little break. I was getting super negative and annoyed with dating and finding a good guy so I just want to take a step back. I don't choose to be a perfectionist, it's something I have always been and it's something that has always brought me down if I am not doing as good as I need to be doing. I'm going to change and be better!!
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

6 comments:

Literate Barfly said...

A good friend of mine recently wrote, "No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."

My response: "Yeah, but no pessimist ever lost their life savings betting on a horse, either."

There's nothing wrong with you.

What's wrong is the notion everyone needs to be "positive" all the time, as if happiness were some perpetual state you could will yourself into.

It isn't.

Life is messy. Throughout it you will be, by turns, elated or miserable, anxious or content, confident or fearful, excited or frustrated, hopeful or dejected. It's all part of the ride, and you're on it.

Unknown said...

I completely agree...positive can't be a forever feeling. I need to be real and honest sometimes. Some people just don't respect that.

Anonymous said...

I often find myself feeling emotionally dysfunctional...and I think giving dating a break is a great idea! People don't understand how dating really wears on you! Good luck with trying to change and be better!

Unknown said...

Justajenn- Thanks for the good luck I definitely need it! Dating & being unemployed really wears on a person and sometimes you can't just be happy all the time.

BTW checked out your blog and I will be following!!

Wardell said...

When placed in a bad situation or a series of bad situations most people probably would become negative, it's easy to be positive when everything's going your way, but it's during the difficult times that we have to make a conscious effort to be optimistic, and remember that things could always be worse than what they are

Unknown said...

Wardell you're 100% right. It's important to find the positivity in the tough times. But I think it's also ok to be bummed and friends just have to be there and not give someone stress for the few bad times they have.

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on G+ Follow me on Linkedin