Monday, September 9, 2013

Crockpot Chicken & Shrimp Gumbo

By no means is TheSavvyBrunette.com a food blog. Mainly because I cook like... NEVER. Ever since I moved into my new apartment I have had the urge to cook. Well this is the second time in a week so to me that is a huge urge ha. Anyhow, about a month ago I had chicken gumbo for the first time ever and it was delicious. Since then I have wanted to recreate it and add shrimp. I love shrimp. I'm relatively good at following directions so I figured I could pull this off. My only issue is that I don't like specific things so I always find about 3 recipes and chop them apart to make my own. This is what you see below. My version. I completely forgot to buy cornbread, which would have been amazing with this. Oops. Don't you forget. If you try this let me know how it works out and if you put your own flare to it. 

Before

Crockpot Time - 6 hours
Crockpot Temp - Low
Prep - 20 minutes
Makes about 4-6 servings!


Ingredients

Meats
1 lb uncooked shrimp
1 lb boneless chicken - cut into small cubes

Veggies
1 package frozen okra, thawed out
1 chopped green pepper1 cup chopped red onions 
2 chopped celery stalks


Spices
1 bay leaf
After
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon of Creole Gumbo File (don't really know what it is, but the package said it was "great on gumbo")

Bases
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomato sauce (thin)

Grain
2 cups cooked rice

Directions

Pull out that trusty crockpot of yours. Add in EVERYTHING but the rice and shrimp. Mix everything well, cover and cook on low for 6 hours. The last 30 minutes add your uncooked shrimp. When you're ready to serve then serve it over rice. Do not put the rice in the crockpot unless you like mush. 

Whoop there it is....
....and it was damn good ;) 

If you aren't a gumbo person but want to try something you should try my Baked Mac & Cheese which I know is pure perfection! 



Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

No comments:

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on G+ Follow me on Linkedin