Thursday, March 10, 2011

Snap out of it...

Since this whole unemployment thing begun I can honestly say I have been in the weirdest head space. I'm happy yet overly stressed. The stress comes from lack of money and the happiness comes from the weight lifted that now I can find a job that could make me happy.

The thing with unemployment is that it's not easy OR excited. It's the same ole thing every single day. I'm not good at living the same life every single day in a Groundhogs Day style manor. The thing that has suffered the worse is my gym habit. I just haven't been in the mood to go at all lately, when in fact that is probably something that would really help the most. I plan to give myself a significant kick in the ass to get me back in the gym ASAP. My good eating habits are still pretty much going strong except I definitely cheat sometimes and that just makes me feel like I've wiped all the good away.

One of the hardest things, outside of going to the gym, is job searching every day. I'd equate it to working in an assembly line. Each day I wake up and go through all the tagged websites and apply to new jobs. I hear back from about 1% of them. So far I have had several interviews but I'm finding that a lot of these jobs are totally taking advantage of the unemployed. They want to pay absolutely unacceptable rates. I'd be better off to stay on unemployment at that rate. Which is what I am doing. I am very confident that the right thing is going to come along a lot sooner than later. I'm getting more interviews and more bites lately. Hoping for the best and avoiding the worst!
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Have you thought about getting a part-time gig just to fill the void? I did that when I was unemployed just to keep myself busy. You let the employer know you are only allowed to work a certain number of hours a week so as that you don't make more in the PT job than in what you receive from the unemployment check.

Hang in there, I'm sure you AND I will find something soon enough. I'm so sick of interviewing and of my dead-end, non-challenging job.

Unknown said...

I thought about that but I'd rather just spend all the time doing job searching. I always feel bad when I'm not giving all of my time to it.

Interviewing is just rough. There aren't enough opportunities out there. I just need to find something and take it. I have thought about trying to get a few full time jobs. Unemployment isn't covering my bills at all and it'll start to hurt soon.

Andrea said...

I couldn't agree more! And it's ridiculous how people are taking advantage of the unemployed. I was unemployed for about four months, and I couldn't believe it! I had a phone interview where the person said the position offered $10! It's was for a full-time job that required five years of experience!

Unknown said...

Andrea...how frustrating. At least you found out over the phone though. I have gone into too many interviews whey they ask for salary expectations and they are shocked. I'm not even saying anything outstanding but they can't even come close. Companies need to start paying for the quality they want.

Unknown said...

Thank you I appreciate that!

Wardell said...

I know what you mean about some so called jobs taking advantage of the unemployed, if they can't even match what you're getting from unemployment which to my understanding is based on your last income then you probably should keep looking, but in some situations it may be a good idea to take what you can get until you can find something better. It's good that you're blogging and working out, I know those are two things that help me keep my sanity when I was unemployed. Good luck with your job search.

Unknown said...

Unemployment is "based on last income" but not really. Most people think it's a percentage or close to what you made before. What I get on unemployment is less than what I use to get on a bi-weekly paycheck and I get the absolute state wide max for unemployment for a single person. It's actually pretty ridiculous. It's almost like minimum wage for 40 hours a week. Something ridiculous like that. And not only do I make that but someone who made a million a year would make the same thing. People who made less than I did might make less. You can go down from the top amount of course.

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on G+ Follow me on Linkedin