Sunday, September 18, 2011

College athletes should not be paid

Everytime someone brings this up, I admit I am a tad disgusted. College athletes are paid. They get free room, board, food. They don't really have bills during college. A free degree isn't payment enough? I know my degree cost me over $60,000 and by the time I pay it off it will have been doubled so about $125,000. So that isn't worth it to them? It's complete bullshit. Not only that but if you think of college sports like a regular business, most regular businesses make a ton of money off of their hardest working employees who don't make nearly enough. So guess what....welcome to the real world. You get a free degree for all your hard work. That is the trade off. You do not deserve to get paid. People have been working for way less than their worth since working began, it is basically just how life is. I don't know why this is so shocking or such relevant now a days. I agree that it should be punished and not considered.

Lesley Ryder of the Huffington Post made a great point, "Depending on the school, a full scholarship can be worth upwards of $200,000. A free degree (especially from a prestigious university) in this economic climate is a godsend. It's hardly slave labor." [article found here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lesley-ryder/pay-college-athletes-_b_968479.html ]

I really want to know everyone's thoughts on this though. Please share!
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

5 comments:

Wardell said...

I think your arguments fall along the same lines of the argument that pro athletes get paid way too much money. Do I think people should get six or seven figure salaries to catch a ball or shoot a jumpshot? No, but if someone else is willing to pay them that much and I don't have to contribute to their pay then why should I have any objections.
I agree that a full scholarship is more than enough payment, but I think the choice to pay athletes or even give scholarships should be up to those giving money to the colleges and paying tuition to attend them.

Unknown said...

I just think money can be spent in better ways. I don't think it is necessary or appropriate to pay kids for playing sports. At what point would it not trickle down to high school? There are high schools making money off of sports.

Put the money back into the schools and give more scholarships to all kids, not just athletes.

Houston Home Security said...

Thank you and looking for more posts. I am really satisfied with this posting that you have given us. This is really a stupendous work done by you.

Anonymous said...

Great article! It seems it's time college athletes should be paid. The NCAA has held down this racket for a long time. If they don't change, more than $2,000 per year, they're going to fall. The debate over at TC Huddle got me thinking about this. I wondered what other people were saying and found your opinion.

Thanks for the post! Enjoyed it. Here's the article that led me here if you're curious: http://www.tchuddle.com/2011/07/pay-the-kid-the-earned-dollars-of-college-athletes/

-Mike

Unknown said...

Mike thank you for your comment. Interesting article at Tchuddle

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on G+ Follow me on Linkedin