Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Voted....Did You?

I VOTED (last week), DID YOU? Voting is so important, I have been doing it since age 18. This is my first time voting in Illinois though. I use to vote absentee in Ohio because I wasn't sure if I was planning to stay and I also felt Ohio needed all the Democratic votes that it could get. I knew it was most definitely was time to register here though because I have been here 5 1/2 years.

While checking out my Facebook and Twitter this past week I was really saddened to see that a lot of people were not planning to vote. I did my best to impart my "wisdom" to try to motivate my friends who were confused to put it nicely. I never ever push my opinions on others or tell them who to vote for, but I think it is very important for people to know how important voting is.

The response I got from some was:
"I don't like any of the candidates". 
"I'll vote in 2012 for Obama again". 
"I'm waiting to vote for Mayor next year".
"This election isn't important".
"My vote doesn't really count". 
"I don't know, if I have time". (which as we all know means not gonna happen)

My thought on all of those responses aka EXCUSES is that those are not good reasons, in fact there is no good reason. We vote because it gives us rights, and it gives us the right to have an opinion. If you do not vote, do not expect anyone to listen to you complaining when a politician you hate does something that turns your stomach. Take the time and just vote, show that not only do you have opinions but you really care about choosing someone to make changes.

One of the most important things about voting today in this election is that Obama needs to maintain power so that he can make important decisions and have the support for those decisions to matter. Obama needs Democrats in office so that he will have that support. So even if you do not know anything about politics, if you're an Obama supporter/fan then just vote a democratic ticket. 

DISCLAIMER: In no way shape or form am I encouraging people to vote Democratic just because I do. I do not judge people for their political affiliation. I just think its important to make a decision and then go out and vote!!

The picture above was my cute little foursquare badge I earned by voting. I had to check in today and say "I Voted" to earn it, even though I voted last week! It still counts, I VOTED!! The second one was just silly! 
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally agree, they are excuses. I'm gonna get my but over there and vote.
Wearing It On My Sleeves

Another David said...

In my case, "My vote doesn't really matter," is so utterly true. Because I live in DC, and we don't have voting representation in the Congress or Senate. NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Seriously, though, the only election that has any relevance in DC yesterday was for the school board, and I don't have any children, sooooo.....

Unknown said...

Well David, I think you may have come up with the only ok reason to not vote. I can understand not voting if the only thing there is to vote on is something you don't know anything about. I'd be afraid to just go and pick names and make the wrong choice!

Unknown said...

Sarah did you make it there?!

Anonymous said...

Up north we just had our mayoral elections. At the polls I was asked "Is this your first time voting?". I'm almost 30 and vote at every chance I get. I guess my enthusiasm borders on ridiculous when it comes to Canadian municipal elections.

Unknown said...

ravinrants-I love that you said up north, I immediately thought the north side of Chicago lol but then I thought wait its not Mayor time yet! Our up north neighbor Canada :)
Is getting people out to vote an issue in Canada too??

Literate Barfly said...

I vote. I won't argue against voting.

But will suggest heaping all the blame for voter apathy on apathetic voters is unfair. Apathy comes from somewhere. People apathetic about voting are rarely people who are simply apathetic about everything. When over 50% of the electorate regularly chooses not to participate in elections, we have to consider the possibility that our political system itself breeds apathy. We have to consider that widepsread voter apathy might be an understandable (albeit not altogether commendable) response to a nonresponsive political system.

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Anonymous said...

It is certainly right

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, may all your wishes come true!

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on G+ Follow me on Linkedin